On our way back to the church we stopped at a street vendor so that I could buy an enormous shark balloon for Matt the surfer/supervisor. I also convinced Liz to buy a Thomas the Train balloon for her little brother who is coincidentally named Thomas. We then wore the little bracelets that attached the balloons to us all around town. My shark had the perfect length of string so that he attacked whoever might get too close to him. Mostly it just attacked Siusan. We headed back to the church and left the two girls to do some retail therapy, since they didn't have any exams that day. We boarded the bus with my shark and figured we were done with the ridiculousness of the day.
On the bus we ended up sitting next to four young guys who were discussing being bipolar and how much a difference being on medication makes. I really wanted to talk to them, but they were commiserating on how bad it is to be depressed so I didn't feel like it was the best time to jump in and show off my shark. However, when we got to our bus stop, Siusan jumped up and I slowly put my backpack on and pulled my shark down from the ceiling and as I squeezed past them I was like, "Excuse me, don't let me hit you with my shark!". Which you can imagine was an insane moment and made them bust out laughing. Then when we got off the bus, I walked towards the back so we could cross the street behind it after we left. And I let go of my shark so that it flew forward and hit Siusan in the face right in front of the sad boys. They were laughing super hard inside the bus. I do what I can to make people happy.
We got to the church and everyone was so impressed with the shark. I gave him to Matt and explained that I knew he spent alot of time surfing and I hoped he never had his leg eaten off by a shark. He thought it was hilarious and he kept the shark on the stage throughout the whole worship service. No one had any idea what was going on.
We helped set up and then had a truly awesome and inspiring time of worship with the Lord. There were about fifty students who were either getting ready to head home or still had exams ahead of them and they all came together to praise God for all he has done. After the worship we had nachos. Which are not our idea of nachos, even though they did play some cheesy mexican music (no pun intented).But they did try. It was just a night of great fun, lots of laughs, praising Jesus, and nachos...what could be better?
So that was my Friday, relieving the depression of some boys on the bus with my shark balloon, eating chicken nuggets, gifting Matt and his wife with the shark balloon (which they took home after the service and were very excited about), fellowship with other students and nachos, and some amazing Jesus time.


Hurts my heart to think about those guys. Maybe God will take you past their path again.
ReplyDeleteYou should carry around some church tracks to pass to people like that. And I am tired of looking on here and not reading something new.........
ReplyDelete