Thursday, July 16, 2009

...

More GSUS Live today...it rained the whole day and the kid's came in smelly...they stunk up the whole trailer. I got to leave about a half hour early, thank goodness otherwise I might never be able to smell again. I had kid's club this afternoon, the last one of the school year and I told them the story of Daniel and the Lion's Den...they enjoyed it, or were quieted by their cookie consumption, I'm going to go with my excellent story telling. Since today was a boring day, I'll share with you one of our Monday adventures.

Monday, Nathan and I went to Tesco's to shop for Taco Night. We got ready to check out and Nathan suggested we go to the self check-out, I was voting for an actual person...but he threw a minor hissy fit so we went to the self check-out. We got in line behind this lady and her husband who seemed to be doing fine. False. The woman had issues with every single thing she scanned. At one point she was attempting to apologize to us while scanning her green onions and nothing, absolutely nothing was happening. I thought Nathan was going to have a heart attack. The machine kept telling the lady to put things back on the conveyor belt and she wasn't listening and her husband just kept bagging it all up. At one point Nathan was practically shouting at the man to put the ham back on the belt. The man looked confused and the woman had no clue what was happening, she was still attempting to scan some funny looking rolls. The husband finally tossed the ham back up and the machine was happy again. During this forever long interlude of checking out, I attempted to convince Nathan to go to a regular check-out. He insisted that we stay in line...we were going to beat the machine and prove we were more capable than the savvy family in front of us. The woman finally finishes and then can't figure out how to pay...Nathan almost takes the card out of her hand to do it for her, but settles for just explaining the directions in a very tight, polite tone. We move up and start scanning our items...we get all the way through with only a minor hiccup. Nathan scans the salsa and instead of having it roll down the belt to me, the belt keeps reversing and pushing the salsa back on to the scanner...Nathan controlling his temper simply snatches the salsa up and passes it to me by hand. We finish and we high five in celebration of our excellence. It was premature high fiveage...the machine begins to give us our change and then something happens and we end up £5 short. Nathan is staring at the coins in his hand with a confused look on his face counting them up when this woman runs over to see what is happening...she starts punching in codes...it takes her several times and then she apologizes and closes down the scanner and tells people to go away. Then she just leaves to go find help. Help arrives and immediately starts taking the machine apart, pulling things out...like a stack of five pound notes...and sticking them right back in. We stood there for about ten minutes waiting for our five pounds. The woman dismantling the machine finally looks up and asks us very condescendingly if she can help us. Nathan informs her that we are waiting on a fiver and she gets all flustered and tells us the original woman should've given it to us immediately so we wouldn't have to wait. So she goes over all angry and tells the woman to fork it over...and me and Nathan troop over to her to get the note and the woman is apologizing the whole time we are trying to leave. Mainly I blame Nathan and his insane need to beat the system and be better than the woman in front of us...a lack of humility gets you every time.

I hope you enjoyed this delightful anecdote. Also, mother please stop advertising the fact we can't give blood...not giving blood is un-American...and I'm ashamed of the fact I cannot be manipulated by free t-shirts any longer...Mad Cow is a serious thing, don't make fun of people with diseases. And I DON'T have Mad Cow! Special connection..sppft.

end.

7 comments:

  1. Every time I try the self check-out, I do something really stupid. Like the time I tried to scan the gigantic apple juice jug and dropped it and it busted all over the floor. Had to close down half the check outs to clean the mess. Or the times that things won't scan, so I attempt to type in numbers. Never works for me. Or else it spends ten minutes telling me to put it bag in the bag. Even though I never took it out of the bag.
    So tell Nathan that those scanners are like Deceptacons(don't know how to spell it- from Transformers). They are evil and deceitful. We humans aren't meant to win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI Bradley took me to eat at Out Back and then to Madison(what's it's name) to see Transformers. This "old people" liked it too. Was kinda tired though cause we went to the 10 o'clock showing. Old people prefer matinees. Oh yeah he didn't just TAKE me I got to tag along cause they felt bad leaving me at home. Him, Carley and Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do they get those stupid words from that you have to type in before it posts?!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They should put their definition with the word and then it could be a learning experinece. Kinda like the word of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to meet the man behind the "curtain" in those self scanners! Evil! Evil! Evil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They usually have cameras right above the scanners, so there is probably a room full of old men sitting around eating and laughing at us all as they push buttons and say to each other, "watch this!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you happy now? You made your Aunt Shirley go without oxygen for so long that now she is rambling on randomly. It's all your fault, you need to do more updates.
    Ive already told you that I don't want those hound dogs living with me......

    ReplyDelete